[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Any mention of platform parameter was removed from Activity Library

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jul 27 15:07:06 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:13 AM, Aleksey Lim<alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since now there is only one way to provide information in what
> environment activity should work - Sugar Platform version.
>
> Sugar Platform is not just sugar release but
> "a set of versioned components on which activity authors can rely
> when targeting their activities to run on a particular Sugar version"
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.84/Sugar_Platform
>
> Activity developers, please choose Sugar Platform wisely
> (new uploading UI requests entering SP version before uploading .xo).
>
> Editors who processes nomination/pending requests, please follow
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Library/Editors#What_editor_should_do.3F
> recommendations.

Thanks Aleksey

Defining the Sugar Platform by versioned components is a critical step
in communicating clearly to the ecosystem what they can and can not
depend on when creating their activities and content.

For now, handling these decisions via informal conversation between
developers is appropriate.  As the project grows to include more
members with more diverse needs, we may need to create a more formal
structure such as an 'Engineering steering committee' to scale our
decision making ability on technical issues.

For now, supporting the bureaucratic overhead of a 'Engineering
steering committee' is probably not worth the gain.  But, I would
expect that within the next year or two it will be worth it.  Most
open source project form some type of formal technical decision making
structure.

Please ping me when start to feel the need for such a committee.  I
can point you to examples of successful steering committees or I can
help you create one to meet sugar developers needs.

david