[Sugar-devel] Proposal to delete Platform field from ASLO

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Mon Jul 27 00:52:56 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 04:20:04AM +0100, Gary C Martin wrote:
> On 24 Jul 2009, at 06:31, Aleksey Lim wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >At the present moment 99% of all activities use "All" platform.
> >I think we could use only "Sugar Platform" field.
> >
> >In case of activities like Measure(which has XO specific code and
> >works
> >only on XO) we can mark all these activities as Experimental
> >(users still have access to these activities) and create collection
> >like "Experimental activities for XO" to let users track them.
>
> I must admit  the platform setting is distracting, the "Compatible
> Applications" (BTW, badly named, should be "Sugar Release") which
> seems the more important setting is so hidden away vs. 'platform'
> that I often don't set it correctly (0.82 - 0.84). Having both, just
> introduces way to many permutations for any one to be able to
> reasonably test – you'd need 8 separate systems running various
> spins of Sugar and release distros. Hence I think most set "All" and
> wait for the bug reports...
>
> Thanks for bringing this up.

In fact, the reason of having "Sugar Platform"[1] is exactly to hide
all sugar release related complexity(like existed dependencies, API/ABI
of dependencies) under the hood.

Looks like there is no any objection against removing platform field..
and as I mentioned before, we can cover all exceptions with collections.

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.84/Sugar_Platform

--
Aleksey