[Sugar-devel] Improving Reading Experience

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 22:20:50 EDT 2009

Bastien,

What might be more suited to Caroline's purposes is a demo of Get
Internet Archive Books, followed by demoing reading the downloaded
book in Read.  In Fedora 11 I can use the Read Activity (I couldn't in
any other Sugar test environment I ever had).  The advantage of doing
this is the books have pictures.  Caroline is trying to sell Sugar
itself, so we want to show reading for children at it's best.  Since
Gutenberg etexts are without pictures, plus we would have to explain
why it is that we have more than one Activity for reading (something
there is no need for them to know at this time) I think this is the
way to go.

If you go to the Internet Archive website you should be able to get a
list of children's books that you could search for with GIAB.
Caroline might suggest some that are not controversial.  I just found
out that the Oz books have been banned in a few places.  There is a
book "Abroad" which is quite beautiful and might be considered for a
demo.

James Simmons