[Sugar-devel] Buddy Tagging (Was: GPA Goals Status)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Jul 25 21:41:14 EDT 2009

Hi Tomeu,

On 25 Jul 2009, at 11:12, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> Eben, Gary, can you summarize your thoughts on this proposal?
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Tagging_Proposal
>
> Do you think it's worth implementing as-is? Do you think we should
> instead tackle first real groups? Or maybe the "tagging others" part
> of it isn't useful?
>
> Please note that the proposal is very limited because it's meant to be
> implemented during a single release cycle within our limited
> resources. I tried to be very clear in the use cases it supports so it
> doesn't get confused with a much broader proposal.

Use case 1: Excellent, I think it's right on target and sounds like
Eben thinks so too :-)

Use case 2: Is more of the 'hot potato' :-) I'm starting to side with
Eben in that tagging buddies (in addition to tagging yourself. i.e.
your shared profile) is going to be hard to clarify in the user
interface. Here's my initial attempt at a simple UI implementation for
Groups. Note that this implementation is _very_ close to the buddy
tags proposal case 2, just that it is shown using a group UI metaphor.
The groups defined are all local to the user, no invite/accept needed:

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Groups

This could be the first step on a road to Eben's full "Open Groups"
and "Close Groups" specification, but for now this seems a smaller,
simpler step to take on the journey, and makes good use of the
existing Group zoom view.

I have a few more screen shots to post in a day or so, but these
initial 3 images and description should give a fair idea. It's been a
great discussion, so please don't think me painting pretty pictures is
trying to close the discussion down, most happy to rework as the
discussion continues to goes forward!

Regards,
--Gary