[Sugar-devel] GPA Class Notes July 22 - GS

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Jul 22 16:22:34 EDT 2009

Hi Greg,

On 22 Jul 2009, at 19:58, Greg Smith wrote:

> That brings up the question of how they can tag the items they want to
> easily find them later. That is, as they look around on Wikipedia or
> elsewhere and find text and images they want to use, how do we collect
> them and show them (and only them) on a clean journal view late. URLs
> and downloaded images are very hard to find in the Journal.

Use a standard tag for them (details view only, I'm afraid, for object
downloads), or perhaps star favourite them in the Journal (or both)?
Obviously naming the downloaded item also is a good habit, but not
sure how that aligns with the literacy level of the class.

> We should use the URL name (not sure of the right technical term but
> I mean the
> short name you see in browsers, e.g. www.google.com appears as Google.
> That or anything that is more intelligible than what you see by
> default. Will file a bug when I have a chance unless someone beats me
> to it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "file a bug" for this? Tagging works,
and has worked in Journal/datastore ever since I first used it. It's
just that the tagging UI in not very well exposed currently (enter tag
words in the Journal details view or the naming dialogue, search for
tags with the Journal search field or the Activity ObjectChoser).

The 'tags' just appear as a plain text list of words in all current
cases, so I agree it needs to have a child friendly/accessible
interface/presentation – if that was going to be your enhancement
request ticket, please cc me on it :-) But it does need ideas from the
field related to what the children are able to accomplish.

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. Any input on the mock-ups at http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Journal
  would be most useful as a number of the images try to expose tagging
further than we have so far (I've had minimal feedback on tagging
presentation).