[Sugar-devel] [Bastien] helpfr.xo does not launch on F11 on XO-1

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Jul 21 14:50:42 EDT 2009

Hi Bastian,

On 21 Jul 2009, at 15:39, Bastien wrote:

> Hi Sayamindu,
>
> thans in advance for your help.
>
> The original Help activity repo is here:
>  http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/help
>
> The derived Helpfr activity is here:
>  http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/helpfr
>
> They both rely on the same Browse, and this part of the code need to
> be updated.  Below is a backtrace as sent by Mikus, would could not
> run Helpfr on devxo-1.
>
> Thanks again!

Just a sanity check. You're aware the new Browse code will not run on
the old/existing 8.2.x OLPC distros? Basically, to my knowledge, a
lump of code called hulahop sits between mozilla code and Browse. New
releases of mozilla code, required changes hulahop, which caused the
break in backwards compatibility.

So... My understanding is that if you want Helpfr working on both
8.2.x OLPC distros, and the Strawberry SoaS distro, you will need to
make available 2 different versions of Helpfr (one for old mozilla +
hulahop release, and one for current mozilla + hulahop release).

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. Maybe (and with much pain, anguish, and debugging) there's some
magic way of including both versions of the hulahop library in Browse,
and 2 sets of glue code in Browse to talk to hulahop, depending on the
version of mozilla installed in the OS. But that's a big "ouch" and a
tone of maintenance. Likely a lot simpler providing 2 Helpfr Activites
via activities.sugarlabs.org for old and new Sugar users.