[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [support-gang] An Opportunity to bring vital content to the Sugar/XO world - Needs technical help.

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Jul 19 12:48:46 EDT 2009

Hi Tomeu,

On 19 Jul 2009, at 10:51, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> Hi,
>
> not sure why Caroline's email didn't reached IAEP, wrong email
> address?
>
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 02:17, Caryl Bigenho<cbigenho at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Caroline,
>>
>> I agree that content is something we desperately need for Sugar and
>> the XO.
>> But, I don't quite understand your proposal.  Is Innovations For
>> Learning
>> offering us their software for free to adapt?
>
> They have offered at least some of it. More may come but I don't know
> about it yet. See:
>
> http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2009/05/progress-on-sugar-activities-with-swf.html
>
>> If so, what language is it
>> in?
>
> Flash, developed specifically to run on Gnash.
>
>> Is the source code available?
>
> Yes, though in the .fla format that as far as I know can only be
> edited with the proprietary tools from Adobe.
>
>> Or, is this something you think our volunteer programmers should
>> try to
>> reverse-engineer and create for Sugar and the XO?
>
> Well, what I would like to see (but may not be what Caroline had in
> mind) is someone with access to the Adobe tools and some Flash
> knowledge to debug the EatBoom swf file and see why the game is not
> progressing to the next levels after the first three or so sums have
> been completed.

Just looking...

:-( damn and blast... The .SWF played on my Mac also fails to progress
levels.

:-( double damn and blast... I have MX2004 (which is really Flash v7
if you ignore the annoying marketing naming fluff). The eatboom .FLA
was last saved by someone using Flash v9 on Windows (needed a binary
hex editor to find that out) and will not open here – so there's no
way I can fix – pity this level of content could have been compatible
with Flash v4!

:-( triple damn and blast... I used a (recent) flash de-compiler to
convert the .SWF into a v7 .FLA. I can access all the project/code/
media, but the levels still didn't progress (though I could always get
through the exit). There should be 3 levels (see attached images), and
two game over (failure/success):