[Sugar-devel] GSoC Groupthink Update: SharedTextDemo-4

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Jul 18 11:26:10 EDT 2009

Hi Benjamin,

On 17 Jul 2009, at 03:06, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> Download:
> http://bemasc.net/~bens/SharedTextDemo-4.xo
>
> Requires Sugar 0.82 or better.
>
> Short:
> This version adds support for automerge after offline editing.  User
> may start a
> shared session, then edit separately, and when they come back
> together their
> text will be combined automatically.  This is a strong form of
> "asynchronous
> collaboration"
>
> Talk to me if you would like your activity to gain this capability.

I just want to raise a note of interest. I've been pondering future
possibilities for collaboration in Physics:

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Physics

Still early days for making a call, but Asaf has made great strides in
getting Physics storing its world state to Journal. My thought is that
user edit changes made to this world model might be able to use
Groupthink to allow two or more users to collaboratively edit the same
world model. Though, Due to the complexity of the Physics code (Sugar
Activity wrapper + OLPCGames + pyGame + Elements + Box2D), it would
likely mean needing work done upstream (Elements I think).

Regards,
--Gary