[Sugar-devel] updating from aslo

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Jul 18 05:36:57 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 19:39, Daniel Drake<dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> 2009/7/16 David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>:
>> A possible answer would be to abstract ALSOParse.py and microformat.py
>> as back ends for Sugar-Update-Control (SUC).
>
> It's not so much the issue of losing support for the existing
> widely-deployed setup (although that would be unfortunate), it's that
> this seems to lack design. The microformat-style update (along with
> certain characteristics of the updater and server implementation) is
> not perfect, but it is good for field use and "G1G1" style internet
> users.
>
> The motivation for moving to "aslo" seems to be only that of "because
> it's running on sugarlabs.org," without consideration for any
> technical pros or cons of the different format, how it might be
> deployed in the field, etc. I think you should take a more detailed
> approach to this, without limiting yourself to the quirks and current
> behaviour of the aslo code.

I guess I'm confused, are you saying that activity authors and users
don't gain anything by using ASLO instead of the previous wiki system?
Then why did we spent so much time fitting ASLO to our needs?

It's not like ASLO has been always running in sugarlabs.org, lots of
effort from several people from several teams in SLs has gone to make
it possible, it's not the wet dream of a single coder.

If I misunderstood you and you weren't questioning the usefulness of
ASLO itself, then I don't see why it doesn't make sense to get the
update data from where it already is.

Regards,

Tomeu