[Sugar-devel] sugar-update-control.aslo ready for testing

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Jul 18 05:27:31 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 13:10, David Farning<dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 16:10, David Farning<dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>>> Another pre-release of sugar-update-control.aslo is ready for testing.
>>>  It is now available at
>>> http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar-update-control/repos/aslo-clone
>>> .
>>
>> Just tried it, congratulations on the fine work!
>>
>>> Fixes include :
>>> GUI works correctly via control panel.
>>> Finds activities via SUGAR_PATH.  (if SUGAR_PATH is set correctly  it
>>> _should_ on SOAS but, I have not tested it yet)
>>
>> I wouldn't access directly the fs to check for available activities.
>> There's already code in the shell that deals with this:
>>
>> http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/mainline/blobs/master/src/jarabe/model/bundleregistry.py
>>
>> There's also code for updating, installing, etc.
>
> Ok thanks, I was not sure of the consequences of _not_ using the
> bitfrost python modules for pulling activity related information.

I'm afraid we will have to read the code in order to know.

> I'll look at bundleregistry.py today.
>
>>> Using client side updates provided by alsroot[1], will grab the
>>> correct versions of activities for the installed version of Sugar.
>>>
>>> TODO:
>>> By default, GUI is populated with information on all corresponding
>>> activities on ASLO not just the valid update.  (You can manually
>>> select the updates you want)
>>>
>>> Please test so we can see about adding it as a feature to .86:)
>>
>> Will be awesome to have the updater working on 0.86, but note that
>> sugar-update-control isn't part of Sugar as of yet. See about new
>> module proposals here:
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Roadmap
>>
>> One of the consequences of this is that distro packagers will need to
>> be prompted specifically about packaging sugar-update-control until it
>> is part of Glucose.
>
> Added incomplete feature tracker at
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/SugarUpdateControl.ASLO .

Well, the feature process is currently for Sugar, and
sugar-update-control is not part of it. First we should make
sugar-update-control a module in Glucose, then we can see about
feature proposals.

Until it's not in Glucose, there's no need for feature pages, it's an
independent module that follows its own schedule.

If you want it to be part of Glucose, we should ask Simon about the
consequences of adding new modules in this part of the release cycle.

Regards,

Tomeu

>>> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/services/update.php?id=org.laptop.WebActivity&appVersion=0.82
>>> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/services/update.php?id=org.laptop.WebActivity&appVersion=0.84