[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Share sugar objects on a standalone server

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sat Jul 18 00:38:54 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:

> Hi Caroline,
>
> On 17 Jul 2009, at 23:35, Caroline Meeks wrote:
>
>  Ack! I posted this to the wrong thread!  Sorry :(
>>
>> Here are some ideas for use cases that we might want to think through.
>>
>> Off the top of my head
>>
>>        • Teacher shares a file with a class
>>        • Teacher shares a file or lesson plan or student work sample with
>> other teachers
>>        • Student shares with classmate for peer review
>>        • Student shares with teacher for assessment (need an easy way for
>> teachers to see all students work)
>>        • Student shares with outside world
>>        • Student shares with school community
>>        • Teacher or student gets an activity for Sugar
>>        • Teacher or Student learns what is possible with Sugar from
>> examples
>>        • Students or classes of students collaobrate to co-create projects
>> All different, but it would be good if the end users felt there was some
>> consistent logic to how they did these tasks which may well be related in
>> their minds.
>>

> Could you list how a teacher/student currently accomplishes each of these
> cases? I have my own guesses for most (I think most would usually involve a
> school Windows file server and share disk space, or just not be allowed from
> the school point of view), but wanted to see if you have a list of current
> approaches for these.

At the GPA I think its not done at all. Kids use the computer lab for an
hour a week and use a web site to play educational games.

At LGF, they have macs and they have a web based class management system
written by a programmer out in western MA.  More or less like Moodle.  I'm
not sure how many of these use cases it supports.

One high school I visited had a sign up in the computer lab reminding kids
to email their work to themselves on their gmail accounts.  My high schooler
tends to use this technique also.  Teachers sometimes have him email files
to turn in assignments.  I think in one class he used google docs.

So I think email and web sites are the current way these tasks are done, in
the rare instances they occur.

I am copying Server Devel as I suspect our vision if for the  XS will
support many of these use cases.