[Sugar-devel] Sharing Images in the neighborhood

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Thu Jul 16 22:46:43 EDT 2009

Today we wanted to take pictures the teacher had taken with a camera and
share them with the class.

This turned out to be much harder then I expect.

It turns out you can't just share something from your journal into the
neighborhood.

So we tried opening it in image viewer.
Then share to neighborhood.
Other person clicks on it.
They get a popup from the journal asking what they want to open.
Never shows what the first person opened.
Is this an image viewer bug or was it designed to work this way?

We ended up uploading to picasa and Anurag sent me an invite. Another bug,
(this one reported) is that you can't follow links easily in google mail, by
just clicking on them.  However I remembered the workaround and used follow
link.  I then shared the bookmark.

Then next bug (and this one is Google's not ours) the shared bookmark wanted
people to log in, even though Anurag had made the album public.

Very painful for what should have been a simple task!

We need a way to get something from one journal to another without a lot of
opening of other programs.  Even with this work around I now have to teach
the kids, goto the neighborhood, open up the shared  browse, click the
bookmark when it appears, download image, switch program, get image into
TA.  Lots of steps. Infact what happened is 25% of the class opened browse
from thier home rather then the shared browse then didn't know where to go.

Way simpler if we could just share a journal item with the neighborhood.
Any ideas for both short term work arounds and longer term fixes?

--
Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove

617-500-3488 - Office