[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Share sugar objects on a standalone server

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jul 16 21:03:15 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Aleksey Lim<alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:17:13AM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> One of lacks that sugar environment has is simple way to share sugar
>> objects for broad audience i.e. like scratch community has[1]
>> (thanks to davidmorris form #sugar).
>>
>> So, I've created [2]. Original idea was having highly integrated sharing
>> features into sugar shell but looks like we can do simple things first
>> and even utilize only Browse for browsing/download/upload sugar objects.
>>
>> The problem is - what web engine we should use.
>>
>> * Utilize AMO[3] engine which is used in activities.sugarlabs.org
>>   in that case we can create something like library.sugarlabs.org to not
>
> Pro:
> * we do not split users behaviour, they need the same experience
>  that ASLO requires
> * one common branding for activities and objects sites
> * AMO has sufficient(imo) functionality - reviews, ranking, collections
>  and thumbs mode
>  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:2/cat:all?sort=popular
> * we hack AMO code anyway - its not a problem in adding new AMO environment
>
> Contra:
* Locality - In may instances the stuff created by students will only
be of interest to their friends, teachers, and parent.  Serving via
ASLO publishes the content globally.
* Heavy uploaded and editor burden - the upload and review process are
pretty heavy for minor things.

On the other hand
* Some content will be of global interest and be worth the effort to
upload and review.

david

> --
> Aleksey