[Sugar-devel] [API proposal] Source editor and widget

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Jul 16 03:15:01 EDT 2009

On 07/16/2009 12:06 AM, Gary C Martin wrote:
> On 15 Jul 2009, at 17:07, Lucian Branescu wrote:
>
>> Here it is http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Almanac#How_do_I_create_a_text_box_for_code_editing.3F
>
> Thanks Lucian, I've been watching this thread from the sidelines. I
> for one would LOVE the current 'view source' view to become an 'edit
> source' view... Perhaps a lock button to prevent initial accidental
> editing, and a revert to original (and/or undo if feasible).
>
> I guess even without revert/undo features, if installed Activities are
> always accessible as bundles via the Journal (++), the original
> version can always be resumed to overwrite some screwed up edits and
> get back to a working state. The extra sugar coating for view/edit
> source would then be an extra button for "Make Journal Activity
> bundle" so that folks could turn edited source into something they
> could perhaps share, 'send to ->  friend', or restore at a later date
> for further work (after using some official version).
>
> Regards,
> --Gary

Hi Gary,

as you know - I am interested into the "edit view" as well. I think it
is another little step towards our original goal to make modifying and
hacking on Sugar as easy as possible - a first class user interaction.

Making the current view editable are just a few lines. The main problem
I see is: How do you store the new version of the activity? After
editing I hit "make journal activity bundle" and get a copy of the
original activity with my edits and the version number++? Actualy how
about: You can edit, and as long as you do not hit the "make new bundle"
button nothing in the original code will be changed. You end up with the
new version of the activity once the button is hit. That way you do not
need the undo and lock options.

Can we phrase out the whole user interaction and the UI? We can use 803
for now - and turn it into a feature then.

Regards,
    Simon

PS: I remember that we wanted to change the versions of activities to
have minor numbers as well in this release cycle. We should look into that.