[Sugar-devel] Request to add webkitgtk as a external dependency

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Jul 15 14:28:01 EDT 2009

On 15 Jul 2009, at 14:22, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> 2009/7/14 Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Sascha
>> Silbe<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:

>>> That will most likely break on any non-x86 architecture,
>>> potentially on i386
>>> or amd64 as well (depending on what you ship).
>>
>> Ah yes - I plan to drop this as soon as the distros update the
>> pywebkitgtk. Right now I plan the code to check for system install of
>> pywebkitgtk, and if not found, load the appropriate module for x86
>> (32bit or 64bit). I plan to attempt to build for PPC as well.
>
> Aleksey has already been doing this in several activities, I think it
> would be very interesting if the Activity Team could come with a
> recommendation and perhaps with some tools to make it easier for
> activity authors.

FWIW, this is way outside my expertise and pain threshold.

For my own Activities I've been careful to go 100% Python, and avoid,
where possible, getting involved with any Activities that contain any
binary stuff. Happy to use binary libs that are part of the official
platform, but that's my threshold.

Regards,
--Gary