[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Fedora

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jul 15 08:22:20 EDT 2009

2009/7/15 Philippe Clérié <philippe at gcal.net>:
> I've had both Soas and Sugar on Fedora installed in KVM machines. A
> year ago or so I had problems with the joyride builds, so that's
> progress... :-)

Joyride builds weren't intended to run on non-XO hardware, so that's expected.

> Soas seems to work just fine so far. I have a couple of issues with
> Fedora but I am not sure yet they qualify as bugs.
>
> 1) I need a way to make Sugar the default session. As it is, it took
> me a few minutes to figure out how to get the sessions options to
> show. I don't expect anyone (particularly the teachers, kids will
> adapt to anything!) to enjoy that part.

Can you expand a bit on this? What you needed to do? Sugar should be
just one more desktop choice and I guess that if there's only Sugar,
it will be the one people log into without needing to setup anything.

> 2) I plan to use the french version of sugar. But I'd rather have a
> US International (or variant thereof) keyboard. The standard
> keyboard in Haiti is the US variant. So how do I set that up?

You can change the language from the control panel. About the
keyboard, I don't remember the details but it was discussed recently
in the Sugar mailing lists. Something worth taking into account is
that Sugar uses the same low level mechanisms as other desktops, so
you can see which locale env vars and X commands you can run in other
desktops and chances are they will work as well in Sugar.

When searching the archives, take into account that Sugar development
has moved to Sugar Labs: http://lists.sugarlabs.org

> 3) At least in KVM, Soas makes better use of screen resolution than
> Fedora. How can that be fixed?

See how SoaS sets the SUGAR_SCALING env var in the (I think)
~/.Xclients file. This may need to be fixed in Fedora, please enter a
ticket in https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ if you think so.

> 4) There are going to be a lot of extra, unneeded packages that I'd
> like to get rid of. I hoped that there was a Fedora spin of sugar,
> but it appears that was folded into Soas. But Soas is not designed
> to be installed on a hard disk. Why not? Why not give people the
> ability to setup a computer with sugar as the desktop?

Easier installing to the hard disk is a goal for SoaS v2, but in the
meantime, it should still be possible after installing some packages.
Check out wiki.sugarlabs.org and the mailing lists for more details.

Sugar and SoaS are collaborative projects carried by people in their
free time, so your feedback and help are very much appreciated.

Regards,

Tomeu