[Sugar-devel] GPA School Visit report for Tuesday July 14

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Tue Jul 14 22:04:16 EDT 2009

On 7/14/09, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> On 15 Jul 2009, at 02:33, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Caroline Meeks<solutiongrove at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> As Greg said we finally got collaboration working!
>>>
>>> The problem was that we had cloned the owner.key and owner.key.pub.  The
>>> fix
>>> was to delete those before cloning and on existing sticks delete them and
>>> restart.
>>>

>> Excellent. Great to hear that.
>>

> What other system keys/ID are used for authentication with an XS? I'd hate
> to see collaboration solved and then for future server backup or Moodle
> support to get it's knickers in a twist! I have grave worries about the
> current 'clone a booted and hacked stick' without folks involved knowing all
> those first boot processes in detail – I just know enough not to want to try
> it in the first place :-)

The current method I'm using of hand crafting a stick, going in and deleting
files by hand, then cloning it is a total hack, hard to reproduce and very
subject to human error.  We need something like Ticket 74 where we have a
real clone function that does the right things automatically.

If we had that, and especially if it worked with a $15 USB hub to let you
clone 4 or 6 sticks at a time, I think it would be far easier to have
teachers do pilots.  I really think that all of our current stick creation
methods are too inefficient, inflexbile and human error prone to have many
teachers with 20 to 30 kids in a class use them.

Regards,

--
Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove