[Sugar-devel] sugar on Debian : sugar-web-activity conflict

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jul 14 15:56:31 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 09:32:32PM +0200, s.boutayeb at free.fr wrote:
>Selon Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>:

[instructions on workaround for broken initial 0.84 login]

>> After this, a regular "sugar-emulator" should work.
>
>done and ... BINGO!
>
>I installed sugar-calculate-activity & sugar-pippy-activity
>
>However, to installing sugar-chat-activity (65-1) requires to deinstall sugar
>0.82.95 & another associated packages and to upgrade it to sugar-0.84
>(0.84.6-4).

What?!?  So the problem with blank screen running sugar-emulator was
using 0.82 on Squeeze?  Not 0.84 on Squeeze?

This is different from my experience, then.  Need to investigate
further.

You are right that Calculate and Pippy have not yet been changed to the
new versioned packaging of core sugar, so they install together with the
deprecated 0.82, not the up-to-date 0.84.

(it surprised me that you could actually get a proper 0.82 install on
Squeeze - then my transition have been even more gentle than planned).

>Then, sugar-emulator doesnt work anymore.
>I tried with "sugar" and with "sugar-emulator sugar-session", but without
>success
>.
>To sum it up, I should better stick to sugar 0.82 on debian/squeeze.

Since I ran into trouble with 0.84 I have stopped transitioning any more
actitivies from 0.82 to 0.84, and am considering if I should update the
0.82 packages to the new namespace rather than drop them.  Perhaps they
make sense to keep around a while longer after all.

Thanks again for your work on this!

  - Jonas

- --