[Sugar-devel] sugar on Debian : sugar-web-activity conflict

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jul 14 11:51:41 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 03:59:50PM +0200, s.boutayeb at free.fr wrote:
>Selon Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>:

>> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 02:44:28PM +0200, s.boutayeb at free.fr wrote:
>> >One dependency-resolution alternative proposed by aptitude is to
>> >uninstall gnome ;-)
>>
>> Are you telling me that a plain vanilla Debian Lenny does not allow you
>> to install GNOME and Sugar concurrently?
>>

>> Or just that some mixture of Debian and non-Debian happen to conflict
>> with each other in complex ways that might be solveable but aptitude
>> assume that you prefer explicitly installed non-Debian packages over
>> GNOME?
>>
>Not sure of those dependencies are handled.
>In my experience, at least on the debian/lenny PC: I can have (and will
>keep) Gnome + Sugar but without sugar-web-activity.

Interesting: I have not experienced problems having both GNOME and Sugar
on a Lenny system (I believe I did that several times in the past).

>On [debian/squeeze/i386] the dependency has been resolved.
>
>After that, I cant launch sugar with "sugar-emulator": it dont go
>further than the ugly grey launch screen.
>
>Then the terminal prints the following lines:

>samy at 1501d:~$ sugar-emulator

[snipped noise which is most likely irrelevant]

>Erreur de segmentation

[snipped noise which is most likely irrelevant]

problem I am having.

If so, you should be able to work around this issue by doing the
following once:

 1) run "sugar-emulator sugar-session"
 2) Fill in a username
 3) skip the broken color selection
 4) kill Xephyr after above segfaults

After this, a regular "sugar-emulator" should work.

...but if you have similar problems as me, then now Chat will work, but
Browse will not :-( - that's a different issue that I have not yet
solved.

 - Jonas

- --