[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Debian (was: Re: Sugar on Beagle board.)

s.boutayeb at free.fr s.boutayeb at free.fr
Tue Jul 14 05:15:22 EDT 2009

Hi Jonas,

Selon Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>:

> This problem have existed for a while now - but noone seems to have
> experienced it beyond me (no bugreports or questions about it on
> mailinglists), which make me suspect that noone use Sugar on Debian
> except me.  In other words be warned if you want to _use_ (not develop)
> Sugar on Debian: there might be only 1 (one) developer in the world
> working on this, and he is currently not really working on it! :-P
>

>   - Jonas
>
> Frustrated working in a 1-man team

Unfortunately, I can only contribute with user testing.

I have a few debian machines (unstable and testing) available for testing, in
both the i386 and mipsel (lemote box + netbook) architectures.

My past experiencess with the installation of sugar packages with apt-get is
that the sugar environment is working, even if there are few activities (chat,
pippy and calculate. The lack of a terminal from within the sugar UI makes (at
least for me) difficult to add additional xo-packages.

The alternative with sugar-jhbuild is (at least for me) not really usable in
Debian due to failed dependencies.

Actually, the best user experience I had is running "sugar-emulator" in a
Mandrake machine, after having installed no more than a meta-package
(task-sugar, courtesy of Aleksey Lim).

Could you tell us a debian repository with the latest developments (both binary
and source), since I would like to test it all on my mips machines.

Thank you for your help

Samy