[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Debian (was: Re: Sugar on Beagle board.)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jul 14 04:54:43 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:01:29AM +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 01:37:34AM -0500, Rafael Enrique Ortiz
>Guerrero wrote:
>
>>>Another option that I didn't try yet would be to install debian
>>>on the
>>>beagleboard and apt-getting sugar, but I'm afraid that it would
>>>include version 0.82 of sugar.
>>yep. I'm afraid that's truth.
>Not anymore. See [1].
>

>[1] http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=debian-olpc-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

Debian stable (Lenny) contains an Sugar 0.82

Debian testing (Squeeze) and unstable (Sid) contains Sugar 0.84

Did you actually try it?

My experiences with using the Sugar packages in unstable is not good.
Using sugar-emulator, initial login fails.  I succeeded initing an
account by running sugar directly, then kill all the mess from running
it from an existing non-Sugar window manager.

When the account info exist below ~/.sugar then sugar-emulator works
properly.

It is probably a gconf problem.  Possibly only occurs when running a
non-GNOME environment as I do.

This problem have existed for a while now - but noone seems to have
experienced it beyond me (no bugreports or questions about it on
mailinglists), which make me suspect that noone use Sugar on Debian
except me.  In other words be warned if you want to _use_ (not develop)
Sugar on Debian: there might be only 1 (one) developer in the world
working on this, and he is currently not really working on it! :-P

  - Jonas

Frustrated working in a 1-man team

- --