[Sugar-devel] Physics activity (Was: Release v3 tonight?)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Jul 13 02:56:47 EDT 2009

On 07/13/2009 04:11 AM, Gary C Martin wrote:
> Just cc:ing the list to keep others in the loop.
>
> On 12 Jul 2009, at 22:55, Asaf Paris Mandoki wrote:
>
>> A release will be great.
>
> Think we need to make a call on the stability of the new Physics
> Journal state format first, or at least make sure everyone knows the
> storage format may (or may not) be stable long term (hate to see a
> bunch of folks generating/posting examples for lesson plans only to
> have them all fail to resume in a few versions from now).
>
>> I also suggest scheduling an IRC meeting to discuss some "long" term
>> plans about what we're going to do and how we're going to do it.
>
> Yes, an IRC meeting sounds like a good idea. I'm usually only on IRC
> for specific meetings so we'd need to pick a time. Perhaps we could
> make it a Physics specific ActivityTeam meeting on Friday, some other
> interested parties may join the discussions?
>
>> I'm thinking about adding some sort of goals and objectives but I'm
>> not sure if there is where we want to go.
>
> Well need to chat :-) but the X2o Activity seems like the place for
> driving "goals and objectives". I see Physics as more the open ended
> sand box for experiments, like a simple Paint tool for physics
> simulations. We need to keep an eye on the usability for younger kids,
> the number of tools is probably about right, but I have been looking
> at the idea of adding more options as secondary palettes, i.e. you
> hover over the circle tool and the palette includes extra options for
> "helium balloon", "rubber ball", "wooden ball", "stone ball"  for some
> pre-set material types, this would vary depending on the tool, so the
> motor could perhaps have clockwise and anti-clockwise as well as some
> torque settings (strong, medium, weak).

Hi,

In case you did not see my post (http://erikos.sweettimez.de/?p=789):
[...]
One problem I observed with younger kids is the use of the mouse. In
that age for example moving the mouse over the whole screen (like for
closing an activity) is a hard task. Now, in physics to create an object
you have to: click on the screen, hold the button and move the mouse to
create the item at your desired size. Sounds hard doesn’t it? Maybe we
can present the kid on right mouse click with a palette and let’s say 3
objects at different sizes to select from?
[...]

Might be an option for some palette information as well.

Regards,
    Simon