[Sugar-devel] Latest release of Read Etexts, some questions

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 08:39:54 EDT 2009

I took the week off and spent a great deal of it in my basement
working on an improvement to Read Etexts which should be available
soon on ASLO.  The new feature is annotations, where I let you add
notes to individual pages of a book, plus make as many bookmarks as
you like, using a UI modelled on what the latest Read has.  Unlike
Read, I store this information in a Zip file along with the book,
which means that when you share a book the notes and annotations go
with it.

Another thing I did was to put the title metadata in this file,
because that seemed to be the only way that I could make sure that
when someone shared this file the received file in the Journal would
get some title better than Read Etexts Activity.  That part isn't
working at the moment.  I need a way to know that a file has been
received from a sharing user and not opened any other way, because
only then do I want to check the annotations file for a title.  If
anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

I'm thinking of adding keyboard shortcuts for the bookmarks.   Any
suggestions on what keys to use would be welcome.

The next feature to be added will be highlighting, probably with
underlines.  If there is a passage in a book that is important you can
underline it for emphasis.  You should be able to underline multiple
passages per page.

Finally, I updated one of my development boxes to Fedora 11.  It
doesn't look like the gstreamer espeak plugin is included in that
distribution, and unfortunately that box is the one I use for testing
text to speech.  Is there an RPM for Fedora 11 that I could install?

James Simmons