[Sugar-devel] Initial implementation of toolbars design

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sat Jul 11 05:12:31 EDT 2009

On 07/11/2009 03:44 AM, Gary C Martin wrote:
> Hi Aleksey,
>
> On 10 Jul 2009, at 16:19, Aleksey Lim wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar-toolkit/repos/toolbars
>> there is simle example in examples/toolbar.py
>>
>> Does it satisfy mockups?
>
> Sugar-jhbuild is broken for me just now so can't look/test :-( Is this
> toolbar example work for the Journal, Browse (tabs treatment), or the
> main system wide Sugar toolbars (BTW: I'm making some new mock-ups of
> them just now)?

for reference: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/New_Toolbar_Design
eben's mockups: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Toolbars

I had a brief look at the code. Looks like a great start and proof of
concept. What I think we should do now is (in the order):

a) DESIGN: discuss the design further and get some mockups together, one
question that came up is: do we always have a one line secondary tool
bar? How would more complex widgets like the color chooser look like
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:ColorToolButton.png ? Or would they
open from the secondary palette? Maybe we should step through some of
the activities and just remodel them to see what would work and find out
about the edge cases (think gary is already working on that)

b) API: we need a rock solid API. This is public API and will be used by
all the activity authors, so very important to get this right - so we do
not need to change it again afterwards

c) IMPLEMENTATION: we have the proof of concept, we should check if we
would be easier to create a custom widget, see what parts can be moved
to the theme so we do not have to work around issues in the code

Sounds good? Comments?

Thanks,
    Simon