[Sugar-devel] Problems running Sugar under Jaunty (9.04)

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 15:50:52 EDT 2009

A new entry today on
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Community/Distributions/Ubuntu:
(from) Neil Mayhew <http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Nmayhew> 16:28, 10
July 2009 (UTC)

I was able to make the sugar packages work by adding a gconf setting:

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/sugar/desktop/favorites_layout -t string ring-layout

I think this will be fixed by adding the right gconf schema to the package,
and hopefully will be fixed in version 0.84.

There are still lots of non-fatal error messages in the terminal, but it
looks like these can be ignored. I used sugar-emulator --dpi=200. Logging in
to a Sugar session from gdm worked too.

Previously, it was thought that a problem with Xephyr and
dbus<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/325706>
was
at fault, but the above workaround shows that it's a Sugar packaging
problem.