[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Paint improvements?

Ton van Overbeek tvoverbeek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 12:07:11 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Aleksey Lim<alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 07:28:09AM -0500, David Farning wrote:
>> >
>> > If Tuxpaint satisfies all needs and new features list for Paint and
>> > Colors! is not short, I guess its much easier to add save-to-journal
>> > feature to Tuxpaint.
>> >
>> I am in occasional contact with Bill Kendrick the lead developer for
>> tuxpaint.  I try to reach out to him and the rest of the tuxpaint team
>> to work more closely with Sugar Labs.
>
> The save-to-journal feature shouldn't be a problem(since this will be
> local change in Tuxpaint's code).
>
> The relly hard problem is sharing mode in Tuxpaint.
>
> There is a ticket for this reason - #887
>
> --
> Aleksey

As someone who has hacked on Albert Cahalan's original XO-1 port of Tuxpaint
(see the tuxpaint entry on http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/All)
I'd be glad to help
with further sugarizing tuxpaint.
What I did was to adapt it to the rainbow requirements for the XO-1 (store
data in the right directories, etc.) and proper startup from the ring.
No integration with the journal or implementation of sharing.

Note that a full installation of tuxpaint is very big, due to all the
examples and translations. Probably too big for a 1G stick SoaS.

Aleksey, what are your ideas about integration with the journal? Provide
a python glue layer? Or implement it directly in C?

Anyway, let me know what I can do.

Ton van Overbeek