[Sugar-devel] SoAS Testing with XS

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 19:13:26 EDT 2009

To follow up on an off list discussion with Martin.

The OLPC use case assumes top down support. OLPC perfers to sell in bulk to
Governments.

Sugar on a Stick complements this with a bottom up approach.  Thus our use
case is how can we support a teacher with some computers in their room but
perhaps not even the administrative password to their computers and no
support from central IT.  Also we want to support schools that have a
computer lab, but again no support from central IT.  Our goal is that early
adopter teachers, perhaps with geek parental support, can try and prove the
worth of Sugar and it will then be adopted more widely in that school
district.

So in our use case we can't get any entries into the existing DNS.

We realize this is not the use case that the XS was designed for but we
believe it to be an interesting and important use case so we are exploring
what we can do.

Specifically for the GPA

We have 18 computers. Wired to the internet, we don't know the details.  We
are trying to bring in another computer, install the XS for it and put it
beside the existing computers.

For this summer we would be thrilled if we could get the computer lab
collaborating in anyway and see three paths that might lead us to success.

   1. Fix Jabber collaboration - We have a mysterious bug (that is also
   being worked on in parallel) that keeps dropping the connection to the
   externally hosted Jabber Server (jabber.sl.org) and we wondered if a
   local XS would work better.
   2. Fix Salut collaboration - We also have a bug that other wired
   computers also running Salut only see each other occasionally.
   3. Get a local XS working and hope that it dosn't have the same bug that
   kills the external jabber connection

Basically current behavior is maddeningly random.  To me Solid collaboration
would mean we had 3 working options to choose from and a UI that let me set
which one I wanted to use and let me see which one a specific machine was
using.

Thanks!

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove