[Sugar-devel] Questions about GConf and ORBit.

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jul 8 04:35:13 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 05:32, Michael Stone<michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> Tomeu,
>
> I dug through the gconf, libbonobo, and orbit2 source code and discovered some
> interesting things. Most relevant for this discussion:
>
> * ORBit2, on Linux, defaults to sending messages over unix sockets in directories
> like /tmp/orbit-$USER* which it carefully creates with mode 0700. There are no
> configuration options for changing these permissions.
>
> * it's easy to get orbit2 to use other transports with either per-user or
> system-wide configuration.
>
> Just run something like
>
> cat >> $CHROOT/etc/orbitrc <<EOF    # resp. ~/.orbitrc
> ORBIIOPIPv4=1
> ORBLocalOnly=1
> ORBIIOPUSock=0
> EOF
>
> and you'll be good to go. (With the obvious authentication consequences.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
>
> P.S. - I also pushed patches into
>
>   http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/mstone/security
>
> which cause rainbow-sugarize to configure the activity root well enough to
> launch Browse, Chat, Pippy, and Calculate and which comment out its $XAUTHORITY
> processing since that logic isn't correct for unauth'd Xephyrs like the one
> that I'm testing in.
>
> This means that you can now test rainbow+sugar-0.84 in squeeze chroots and
> perhaps in other settings well enough to launch several activities and to
> collect interesting tracebacks. (Baby steps.)

That's awesome!

I would love to see a customized SoaS image that allowed us testing
Rainbow in 0.84. I guess the next steps are:

- package rainbow in Fedora and build it also for F11,
- build locally rpms of sugar patched to use the new rainbow,
- add to the .ks file the Orbit hack,
- create a new soas image with these two packages.

Anything missing? I'm adding fedora-olpc to the CC in case someone
there wants to give a hand.

Thanks,

Tomeu