[Sugar-devel] GPA XS Report

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 19:17:28 EDT 2009

To do this we took one of the donated computers and added a new network
card.  Anurag can you explain what each network card was connected to in our
setup. We think that maybe part of the problem.

What we are trying to accomplish is to get the computers in the computer lab
to collaborate with minimal disruption to the existing computer lab.  We can
stick the schoolserver into the room and hook it into an extra ethernet
cable. But we can't rewire the lab nor can we add another router I think.
We certainly can't ask BPS to do anything with their DNS.  Do we have any
hope of the XS solving our collaboration problems?

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Anurag Goel <agoel23 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Today at the Gardner Pilot Academy we tried setting up an XS school server.
> We were able to install the software (version 0.5.2) using the cd image
> that's on the wiki. We then set the host name and enabled the ejabberd
> service so it would start automatically upon boot. When we checked the
> status of ejabbered it showed that ejabbered was running and everything
> seemed to be fine. We booted several computers with SoaS and changed the
> network settings from the default (jabber.sugarlabs.org) to the IP address
> on the XS. After doing this, the computers in the computer lab still would
> not recognize each other and there was no collaboration. However after
> running several commands on the the XS we were able to see that computers
> were able to connect to the server but were not able to see each other.  Any
> ideas on what we can do to make this work as collaboration will really
> maximize the potential of Sugar. Caroline, please add any details I might
> have left out.
>
> Thanks,
> Anurag Goel
>

> --