[Sugar-devel] Backup and Restore Feature added to Wiki

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 17:31:10 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Sebastian Dziallas<sebastian at when.com> wrote:
> Yup, there's a ticket: #916
>
> Well, the "problem" is that ds-backup-* hasn't been packaged for Fedora,
> yet. I discussed this with Martin Langhoff (adding to CC here) at LinuxTag
> lately, and it shouldn't be a big problem to get the patches from Hamilton
> (in the ticket) applied and then a new RPM uploaded to our SoaS yum repo. I
> guess we'd need people testing this once it's ready, though.

I'll look at the patches and see about merging them in a
ds-backup-client that works on both old and new Sugar. If it all
works, I'll update the rpm packages. They won't be in Fedora repos,
but I'm the maintainer of them. Sebastian seemed happy with such
arrangement.

IMHO, to make this work really well from a user PoV, we'd need a Sugar
control panel that exposes:

   - when was last successful / complete backup
   - "backup in process" status
   - "start backup now" button
   - "full restore now" button (hooked up with dsd's scripts?)

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions