[Sugar-devel] Jaunty up and running

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 13:56:46 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 11:25 AM, James Michael
DuPont<james.michael.dupont at flossk.org> wrote:
> Sascha,
> It build and installed all according to the instructions.
> I dont have this all here at the moment as I said. If you have any
> questions, you can see my build snapshot, that contains everything.

Where? I want to link to it from the
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Emulator_image_files page.

> I have put 2 days of work and finally got it running on ubuntu, you can see
> the patches.
>
> You can find many bug reports of sugar on ubuntu and others. I dont know of
> anyone who sugar works. Everyone who tried the packages complained of
> problems.
>
> How come this is so difficult? How come you guys dont test the packages
> yourself?

It was some Ubuntu packager who failed to test Sugar for Jaunty as we
would have expected.

> Installing ubuntu takes about 30 minutes. You can run it it on a virtual
> machine.

Yes, I have done that for several distros.

> Can you tell me of sugar working on any distro out of the box?

Yes. I have Sugar working from packages on virtual images of Caixa
Mágica and Fedora. I have seen it run in Debian and Ubuntu Intrepid.
See

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Supported_systems#Sucrose

for links about various distros with instructions, bug notes, and
contact information.

> are there any success stories?
> I really cannot find anything on ubuntu except wiki pages that are out of
> date.
> Sorry, but this is very frustrating.

Indeed.

> thanks
> mike
>
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Sascha Silbe
> <sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 05:43:38PM +0200, James Michael DuPont wrote:
>>
>>> The report is with jhbuild on debian jaunty. I built it from scratch.
>>> Started with jhbuild run
>>
>> I guess you mean Ubuntu Jaunty. How did you build? Can you give the exact
>> commands you used to build and run, please? What does "./sugar-jhbuild
>> depscheck" say?
>>

>> CU Sascha
>>
>> --
>> http://sascha.silbe.org/