[Sugar-devel] [Sugar-GSoC] Print Support (Moodle or No Moodle)

Vamsi Krishna Davuluri vamsi.davuluri at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 12:28:00 EDT 2009

Hi,

So I had spent almost 3 weeks entirely with Moodle,
and I have failed to be half as productive with Moodle
as I have with sugar.

I would relate the reasons to be:

My lack of an estimation on moodle's vastness,

1) I had no experience with web oriented systems
2) I had no prior experience with php and databases
3) The assignment plugin which is a what I'm intending to
base my print Module is very huge (4000-5000 Lines of code)
It would take me a while to hack it and tune it down.
4) I still haven't hit the comfort spot with moodle
5) I can't figure out what does what exactly.

As a bear essential, I could get the assignment module to have
a print option, but I don't exactly have the code ready for it.(its
back at my home place)

Anyway, the alternatives I can lay out are:

1)Use a thin client-server based architecture, a small python based server
script
which listens to requests from sugar (XOs) and stores them in a folder, the
admin
can then print those files.
( suggestions on perfecting this are needed)

2) drop this, and focus on network printing.

Thanks,
Vamsi