[Sugar-devel] [Marketing] [SoaS] The next Step: v2 Roadmap

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jul 6 05:13:02 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:03, Peter Robinson<pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> For F12 (not beyond), what is the advantage of using RPMs to
>>> distribute Fructose[1], given OLPC is not[2]?
>>
>> +1 to stop distributing activities as RPMs.
>>
>> Though we may need a RPM that when being installed downloads and
>> installs some .xo files.
>
> That sounds like a horrible hack to me. The whole point of RPMS is
> that you can see before you install them exactly what your getting and
> when you remove them you know that everything goes with them, I don't
> know how its going to be possible to properly clean up something like
> that on removal. I think there has to be a use of one or the other, or
> a combination of the two where core activities are packaged as rpms,
> or Activities that include binary bits that need to be compiled so
> that its easy to support on various platforms.

Yeah, I'm not 100% happy on that, but this seems to be a situation
where the least evil needs to be found.

The binary bits issue needs to be solved anyway on .xos (some of them
are already multi-architecture), so only the scenario of an user
trying out Sugar on fedora remains.

About cleanup, .xos are expected to be self-contained so when packaged
as .rpm shouldn't need any cleanup.

If people want to package and maintain those as .rpms, I don't see any
problem with that. But if we don't have enough hands for that, the
alternative I proposed might be worth it (is actually what SoaS does
when creating an image).

Regards,

Tomeu