[Sugar-devel] [Marketing] [SoaS] The next Step: v2 Roadmap

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 05:03:12 EDT 2009

>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> so here it is, the Sugar on a Stick v2 Roadmap:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Roadmap#Roadmap
>>>
>>> Feedback is appreciated, and as we've just entered brainstorming phase,
>>> please go ahead and shoot your ideas! :) More to come...
>>
>> For F12 (not beyond), what is the advantage of using RPMs to
>> distribute Fructose[1], given OLPC is not[2]?
>
> +1 to stop distributing activities as RPMs.
>
> Though we may need a RPM that when being installed downloads and
> installs some .xo files.

That sounds like a horrible hack to me. The whole point of RPMS is
that you can see before you install them exactly what your getting and
when you remove them you know that everything goes with them, I don't
know how its going to be possible to properly clean up something like
that on removal. I think there has to be a use of one or the other, or
a combination of the two where core activities are packaged as rpms,
or Activities that include binary bits that need to be compiled so
that its easy to support on various platforms.

Peter