[Sugar-devel] Read Activity question (single page view)

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 04:13:17 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:46 AM, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Hi Sayamindu,
>
> Saw some of your Read roadmap items today, and just wanted to ping and ask
> how viable you think it would be for Read to support a single page by page
> view for PDFs (rather than current continuous scrolling mode)?
>
> I've been thinking it would be better for memory consumption (continuous
> scrolling has to have both pages rendered in memory as you scroll over page
> boundaries), and also would be better for page by page reading for many
> books, presentations (Sameer Verma mentioned this in an IAEP mail today),
> and I'm working on some pdf materials like the old adventure book stories,
> where you traverse different pages in a non-linear way (works a bit like a
> point and click adventure/escape-the-room type thing).
>
> Does evince support single page render mode?

Yep - it is easily done (the evince view object has a method called
set_continuous)

http://people.sugarlabs.org/sayamindu/Screenshot-Read_Single_Page.png
is a screenshot of Read in single page mode. We need to figure out how
to expose this in the UI. One small problem is that the Epub viewer
does not support distinct pages (epub files are usually a bunch of
XHTML files zipped together), so we need to hide the UI for single
page mode when a Epub file is open.

> If you think it's viable, but don't have the time yourself, let me know and
> I'll see if I can get something working here (never used evince myself so
> wanted to check with you first before I head off down a blind alley).

Wrt presentations, Evince also supports Impress files - I'll take a
look if that is stable enough for general use.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta