[Sugar-devel] Read Activity question (single page view)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jul 6 04:12:34 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 22:16, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Hi Sayamindu,
>
> Saw some of your Read roadmap items today, and just wanted to ping and
> ask how viable you think it would be for Read to support a single page
> by page view for PDFs (rather than current continuous scrolling mode)?

I think it should be pretty easy. Check out 'pydoc evince' for
properties, methods, etc.

> I've been thinking it would be better for memory consumption
> (continuous scrolling has to have both pages rendered in memory as you
> scroll over page boundaries),

Not sure, I think evince pre-renders and caches several pages around
the current one. One of the issues is that it caches the whole pages
as pixmaps, and if the page is zoomed, that can mean huge pixmaps.

See "Tile based rendering" in http://live.gnome.org/Evince/Roadmap .

Regards,

Tomeu