[Sugar-devel] Jaunty up and running

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Sun Jul 5 16:51:30 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 10:19:51PM +0200, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> Ok,
> I mean the ubunutu and fedora packages are broken.
OK, cannot say anything about that as I've stopped using distro packages
quite some time ago. 0.82 never really worked for me and 0.84 wasn't
available as distro packages back then. AFAIK SoaS uses the distro
packages from Fedora 11 so those should be working fine, though.

> Jhbuild, we will have to go through this together when I am online.
> this latop cannot even begin to use jhbuild, it is an aspire one. 512
> mb or
> ram and no space left.
None of the hosts I'm running sugar-jhbuild on has more than 512MB of
RAM, whether physical (my non-XO Laptop) or simulated (for the virtual
machines I use for testing). The XO (running sugar-jhbuild on Debian
squeeze) even has only 256MB, a slow processor (AMD Geode) and is
running from a 16GB SDHC card (the card itself is quite fast, but the SD
interface in the XO is abysmally slow). The last rebuild that included
xulrunner (we now use the distro package instead) took a full night.

> I am sorry to be so frustrated, but it is too much to ask normal users
> use jhbuild.
Ideally normal users would use the distro packages. That these are
outdated and/or don't work is something that needs to be and AFAICT is
in the process of being fixed, e.g. Sugar 0.84 has now entered Debian
squeeze thanks to Jonas. OpenSuSE should have recent, working packages
as well (thanks to David van Assche).

> more tomorrow, I look forward to working with you to make sugar run
> out of
> the box on ubuntu.
Looking forward to that as well.

CU Sascha