[Sugar-devel] Journal --- Sugar-Developers meeting REMINDER (2 July, 2009 - 14.00 (UTC)) --- irc.freenode.net, #sugar-meeting

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Fri Jul 3 22:24:06 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Aleksey Lim<alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 01:29:56PM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:

>> > +1 to rss feed concept, makes life a lot easier in a heterogeneous
>> > environment.
>> >
>> > I'm still catching up on email so apologies if this has been mentioned
>> > already. But the UI for marking of entries as sharable does not necessarily
>> > need to be another Journal user-interface addition** In the simplest
>> > approach you could just extend the Activity "Share with: my Neighbourhood"
>> > control to mark a Journal entry as part of the RRS feed. Would need some
>>
>> The problem I see with this is that we're talking about two different
>> kinds of sharing. Just because I want to make a picture I drew
>> available for anyone to look at, or even make a "photocopy" of to
>> scribble on, doesn't mean that I want to let them into a shared
>> painting session so they can scribble on the original with me.
>>
>> This is the difference between sharing an activity with someone
>> collaboratively, and sending them (a copy of) the resulting object.
>>
>> > thought on wording, do you add more levels of sharing? Or do you just
>> > simplify the "Share with:" language language to "Private", "Share with:
>> > Anyone".
>> >
>> > **though I would like entries to visually show their sharing state, the
>> > buddy column hints at this but should be made explicit
>>
>> I do actually think that the Journal is the best place to expose this,
>> especially since the way we plan to expose the feature in the UI is
>> something like "view <my friend>'s Journal." I'm not sure exactly how
>> or where that happens. Perhaps if we can abandon the checkbox for the
>> multi-selection we can use that space for a public/private toggle of
>> some kind.
>
> so, you think that my idea of Pins looks ugly :)
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-July/016025.html

Something like that could work. Pins, icons, iconic tags: any of these
variants on the idea could work. Perhaps we can find a way to
integrate these into the line of tags, at the beginning before the
custom tags, instead of eating up extra space to the left of each
entry. However, I do think we'll probably want to make these basic
toggles permanent so that they are visually on or off and can't ever
disappear completely for an entry, so that it's obvious that they
exist and they are easy to toggle.

Eben