[Sugar-devel] Journal feature request--more data in main display

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Jul 3 14:17:13 EDT 2009

On 3 Jul 2009, at 10:01, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 5:29 AM, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com>
> wrote:
>> Aleksey was keen to see any Journal mock-up work in progress I had,
>> early as possible, so here's where I'm at :-) There's plenty to do
>> still, images are intended to help bounce ideas about, poke at the
>> grey matter between our ears, and get a feel for how things could (or
>> not) be done:
>>
>>        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Journal#Tollbar_and_palettes
>
> Very cool. I do agree the filter is very culture-dependent.
>
> On a similar vein, the 'tag' icon has no visual association with the
> many tags on screen. If they had a similar shape, then it'd be easy to
> connect, for users who don't recognise a "tag" and the (somewhat odd)
> use of "tag" to mean "a bit of metadata on a digital resource".

I just 'acquired' the tag/label icon from Eben's mock-ups. Assume he
had though about this way more than me :-) Sure there are plenty of
revisions, reworks, and cherry picking.

> Wishlist: "show files by size" filter or option? If the Uruguay
> experience is any indicator, a fact of life is that users after all
> *will* hit:
>
> - problems with fitting files (large and small) in USB disks
>
> - problems with their Journal taking too much space
>
> - problems with installed Activities taking too much disk space

Good point! Though arbitrary Journal sorting likely breaks many design
goals***, otherwise you'd have thought we would have the most basic of
features, sort by creation date, by now ;-) At the very least size
taken by an entry should be visible on the details view. Right now
there is zero indication other than just watching your total Journal
grow in size via it's frame icon.

***Eben can you clarify this one? If locking folks into a 'view
Journal only by modification date' was an intentional design choice?

Regards,
--Gary