[Sugar-devel] Journal feature request--more data in main display

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Jul 3 13:29:21 EDT 2009

On 3 Jul 2009, at 05:53, Aleksey Lim wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 04:25:54AM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
>> * additional types of filters
>>  for example Library has[2] several types to filter objects
>>
>>  * user tags
>>  * object traits(additional columns from previous section) like
>> author,
>>    genre, date for books
>>  * activity creators(grouping by activity_id field)
>>  * types of objects(like top section in filter palette)[3]
>>  * filter by participants
>>  * filter by sources(if we are in shared mode)
>>
>>  I'm not sure that all of these modes are useful, but something could
>>  be(or another types)
>
> like http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:-5.png

The filters (currently in Journal, and in my mock-ups) are in separate
top level toolbar controls. I'm basically just switching them to icons
instead of text menus. From your mock-up, "User tags" would be
controlled via a palette (not yet finished the mock-up) from that tag/
label icon shown in the toolbar. Next to it will also be added a buddy
icon (white outline) for a filter palette (not yet finished the mock-
up) that looks like it would cover "Participants".

Where you have "Object types" I understand that as file mime types,
which was what I placed at the top of that palette before your mock-up
modification :-)

Your "Object traits" I thing a best just dealt with in a universal way
as tags, no new ontology needed and gets to benefit from any general
tag improvements we make to Sugar (details entry, activity naming
dialogue improvements, auto completion, 'tags under title' Journal
entry display, the Object Chooser).

I'm not convinced I understand your "Creators" category. Is this
original author, the Activity used to build the entry, or something
else?

Regards,
--Gary