[Sugar-devel] On datastore object IDs

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Fri Jul 3 12:12:16 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 20:44, Eben Eliason<eben at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hmm, I do see a distinction, actually. Though Perhaps it depends on
> the the type. As an example:
>
> 1. I make an image.
> 2. I make several changes to this image over time, resulting in new versions.
> 3. I decide that one of these intermediate images was meaningful in
> some way, and desire to tag it accordingly.
>
> I definitely don't want changing the description, or the tags, on some
> previous version to inadvertently a) make a new version and b) make
> that new version the most recent (and therefore most exposed) version.
>
> Perhaps we need to bite the bullet and consider having both versioned
> and unversioned metadata...

I find that Section 5.4 of the XAM Architecture:

   http://www.snia.org/forums/xam/technology/specs/XAM_Arch_v1.0-approved.pdf

which was an inspiration for olpcfs, provides superior terminology for this
issue:

   whenever "binding" fields of content (an XSet) are changed, the name (XUID)
   by which that content is known changes.

   "nonbinding" fields may be changed without altering the name (the XUID) by
   which content is known

Regards,

Michael