[Sugar-devel] Journal feature request--more data in main display

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jul 3 11:05:38 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 03:40, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2009, at 10:54, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:14, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> - Showing tags under the title would be great (Tomeu, I will help where I
>>> can)
>>
>> Hope to push my work on the journal treeview soon, then you can take
>> it and do whatever graphics modifications you want.
>
> Fab.
>
>>> - Batch entry modification (FWIW, don't like the tick box, that feels
>>> like
>>> an old school html web form hack)
>>
>> Any alternative?
>
> I see multi selection Journal operations as a more advanced (occasional use)
> feature, so it would be OK not being directly visually exposed. So, no tick
> box column (save all that space for useful information), instead use a shift
> key modifier so that when clicking an entry its selection state is toggled
> on/off (grey backing fill of the entry row). When hovering over (or right
> clicking) a multi selected entry, display a new palette with just the
> features that function on a multiple selection. "Erase" being the obvious
> multiple selection command asked for in the past; the other useful multiple
> selection function would be drag and drop for copying a batch of Journal
> entries to and from external media (i.e. teacher comes back from the city
> with a USB stick full of downloaded ebooks).

gtk.TreeViews have multiple selection support. Would be very cool if
someone could play with the several options and report back:

http://www.pygtk.org/docs/pygtk/class-gtktreeview.html#method-gtktreeview--set-rubber-banding

Some tweaking of the gtk theme may be needed to make it look right.

>>> - Better Anything toolbar filter palette (use a grid layout to minimise
>>> scrolling)
>>
>> Yeah, that will be great. I think Walter already submitted a patch to
>> move the file types up.
>
> Yea, saw the patch from Walter, that alone should help even if we stall on
> doing more.
>
> I have a mock-up I was experimenting with grid layouts, still tinkering, and
> I can't think of a good 'filter' icon for the replacement button (a common
> one seems to be a funnel shape) :-)
>
> The Journal filters for 'Anything', 'Anytime', the proposed 'Anyone', and my
> below 'Tag' filters can all become toolbar icons (not text). This saves a
> heap of toolbar space, and allows room for a couple more buttons on the far
> right for 'Grid' and current 'List' view.

Awesome, have high hopes about that.

Regards,

Tomeu