[Sugar-devel] Journal feature request--more data in main display

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Jul 1 21:40:52 EDT 2009

On 1 Jul 2009, at 10:54, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:14, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com>
> wrote:
>> - Showing tags under the title would be great (Tomeu, I will help
>> where I
>> can)
>
> Hope to push my work on the journal treeview soon, then you can take
> it and do whatever graphics modifications you want.

Fab.

>> - Batch entry modification (FWIW, don't like the tick box, that
>> feels like
>> an old school html web form hack)
>
> Any alternative?

I see multi selection Journal operations as a more advanced
(occasional use) feature, so it would be OK not being directly
visually exposed. So, no tick box column (save all that space for
useful information), instead use a shift key modifier so that when
clicking an entry its selection state is toggled on/off (grey backing
fill of the entry row). When hovering over (or right clicking) a multi
selected entry, display a new palette with just the features that
function on a multiple selection. "Erase" being the obvious multiple
selection command asked for in the past; the other useful multiple
selection function would be drag and drop for copying a batch of
Journal entries to and from external media (i.e. teacher comes back
from the city with a USB stick full of downloaded ebooks).

>> - Better Anything toolbar filter palette (use a grid layout to
>> minimise
>> scrolling)
>
> Yeah, that will be great. I think Walter already submitted a patch to
> move the file types up.

Yea, saw the patch from Walter, that alone should help even if we
stall on doing more.

I have a mock-up I was experimenting with grid layouts, still
tinkering, and I can't think of a good 'filter' icon for the
replacement button (a common one seems to be a funnel shape) :-)

The Journal filters for 'Anything', 'Anytime', the proposed 'Anyone',
and my below 'Tag' filters can all become toolbar icons (not text).
This saves a heap of toolbar space, and allows room for a couple more
buttons on the far right for 'Grid' and current 'List' view.

>> - Perhaps a Tag toolbar filter palette (could be a mini tag cloud)
>
> Could you draw a quick napkin mockup to illustrate that?

Sure, but don't think I'll have anything in time for the dev meeting.

Regards,
--Gary