[Sugar-devel] Enhancing Activity updator

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jul 1 08:12:33 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 17:35, Aayush<aayush at olenepal.org> wrote:
> Due to large size of EPaath activity we r having trouble updating it, it
> takes almost 15-20 min to update it using current updating technique
> what we want to implement is , only download the changed portion of the
> activity comparing the crc32 value
>
> and we are able to do that and significantly reduce the updating time (
> 3 min ) when we simulate updating outside sugar
>
> we r having trouble integrating that method into current sugar activity
> update mechanism
>
> we want any of u to guide us where should we change in current
> (Controlpanel -> Model -> updator.py) and place our code to implement
> our ides
>
> i think
> def download_selected_updates(self, progress_cb=(lambda n, row: None),
> dir=None): in (Controlpanel -> Model -> updator.py)
> is where i should satrt doing my thing ...
>
> where could i find documentation about current sugar activity update process

The only person I know to be familiar with that code is Scott, thus
adding him to CC.

My recommendation is that you get yourself familiar with the activity
updater code before you try to implement your ideas in a definitive
way.

As a first, read the code as you have already done and identify the
most interesting methods. Once you have a model of how approximately
things work, add some logging.debug calls and verify your hypothesis
by seeing at which point those methods get called and with which
parameter values.

Once you have some idea of what to change and where, do some first
changes (don't try to implement everything at once), then see if the
modifications work as expected. Then repeat.

If you are patient and persistent, you will notice how things that
seemed before impenetrable start making some sense. That may not be
enough to get you where you want to be at first, but keep on with the
process and I'm sure that you will succeed.

Good luck,

Tomeu