[Sugar-devel] SoaS at FOSDEM

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Sat Jan 31 17:16:49 EST 2009

David Van Assche wrote:
> Yeah we are doing the same with edubuntu... which should include sugar
> in Jaunty+1, when it is a little more mature (activity wise.) Kde-edu
> has made massive advances in their edu tools and the kde team seems
> very committed to getting the whole distro known as the 'edu' distro.
> Part of the reason for this is that the Brazillian government made a
> commitment to put 60 million users infront of kde 4... (not LTSP
> sadly) but thats a pretty big market... so now they've decided to
> really focus on edu... think of the possibilitiy of making learning
> objects that are plasmoids... the sky is the limit... Anyway, edubuntu
> is a mix of gnome and kde edu apps... and soon sugar edu stuff too....
>
> kind Regards,
> David Van Assche

Yeah, I agree! The folks at KDE are doing a great job with their kdeedu
stuff. I came across this here recently, looks like a good plan to me
[1]; thanks to Greg for referring me to it. ;)

I'm not feared either of mixing Gnome, KDE and Sugar apps (XFCE is also
our Fedora spin), but there're some questions coming into my mind:

* How can we promote Sugar best?

So. Obviously the question would also be whether it makes sense to
include Sugar in a general Fedora Education Spin (e.g. which includes
also kdeedu). But how would this work? I mean would we just have to
desktops there, or how can we provide the best usability? And would
something like this worth targeting F11?

If the answer to the last question is 'yes', I'd need to hurry a bit
with modifying the kickstart and talking other folks.

* How can we prevent us from doing duplicated work?

Does it make sense to release Sugar on a Stick and a Fedora Sugar Spin
at the same time, with just marginal differences (e.g. having more
activities in SoaS but the Fedora trademark in the latter one)?

Or would it e.g. be worth considering to drop e.g. the Fedora Sugar Spin
and focus instead on SoaS *and* and inclusion of Sugar on a complete
Education Spin?

I think this really needs to be discussed. If you want to, even at
FOSDEM ;). These are just some thoughts and I'm not quite sure, where
this will end up, though.

--Sebastian