[Sugar-devel] Naming of "sugar", the Sugar Shell

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Jan 28 08:24:16 EST 2009

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:08:11AM +0200, Morgan Collett wrote:
>> Just want to mention, as far as packaging names go, the debian binary
>> package names for the following components are:
>> * sugar-base: python-sugar
>> * sugar-toolkit: python-sugar-toolkit
>> * sugar-datastore: python-olpc-datastore (which should be renamed
>> python-sugar-datastore)
>
> I have seen this claim before (from you?). Why do you believe that the
> name should be different? Current name reflects naming of the Python
> module it contains, to follow Debian Python Policy.

Where did Morgan say that "python-" should be taken off?

The change he prposes is s/olpc/sugar/, which I can hardly imagine as
a violation of any Debian Uppercase Policy.

>> I vote for sugar-shell as the component name, because the distros
>> should be able to keep that name, and it's more obvious what the
>> component does.
>
> According to Debian Perl Policy, the binary package for the part of the
> upstream "sugar" package that contains jarabe should be named
> "python-jarabe".

I think the proposal was to rename the *upstream* module called just
"sugar" to "sugar-shell".  At least, this is what was discussed on #sugar.

> Other parts of same source package could possibly either be stuffed into
> same binary package package or into its own, named either "sugar" as
> now, or sugar-shell or sugar-jarabe reflecting an eventual upstream
> rename of same package (else I see no reason to change name for Debian).

Afaik, jarabe has not been shipped as an independent module and there
are no plans to do so.

Or does that mean that you have to split it out to a separate package
in order to comply with this D.P.P.?

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/