[Sugar-devel] squeak in debian

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jan 27 11:40:23 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 08:51:20AM +1800, David Farning wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 02:48:20AM +1800, David Farning wrote:
>>>Is it squeak and etoys that we are missing from debian?
>>>
>>>They now seem to be available in lenny.
>>>
>>>http://packages.debian.org/lenny/etoys
>>>http://packages.debian.org/lenny/squeak-vm
>>
>>  From a Sugar point of view those are "libraries" (so is not even listed
>> as part of "Sucrose").
>>
>> The actual sugarized wrapper for Etoys is not yet packaged.
>>
>> Another library which is not yet packaged for Debian is libabiword.
>>
>>  From a Debian point of view, the following packaged are missing:
>
>What areas would you like outside help on?

Ideally: none!

Or differently phrased: Please join the deb-based-but-cross-distro
packaging team at Alioth by subscribing to
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/debian-olpc-devel and
post questions like this one there.

Your questions are great. Would be even greater if they were brought up
among all those involved with the actual work (of distro packaging!),
and only summarised here - instead of the opposite.

[detailed qustions skipped - please repost at the Alioth list or repost
if you _really_ want them discussed in detail here rather than there!]

>Things are not yet perfect. But, we are in a _much_ better position
>then we were this time last release!

True: Debian *package* repeases (to unstable branch of Debian *distro*
development) much closer matches newest *package* releases from
Sugarlabs.

...which means Debian *derivatives* (like Ubuntu) have an easier time
than ever to create releases matching Sugarlabs releases.

Do not expect any Debian *distro* release to match Sugarlabs releases.

It will be even easier for derivatives in the future, because the
packaging for Debian is intended to get even more complex - supporting
multiple concurrent versions of Sugar parts.

Imagine having the following packages in the future:

sugar0.82-datastore (conflicting with other "datastore" packages)
sugar0.84-datastore (conflicting with other "datastore" packages)
sugar-0.82 (depending on all of Sucrose 0.82)
sugar-0.84 (depending on all of Sucrose 0.84)

Then derivatives can pick the parts they want, and Debian users can
install the environment they want.

  - Jonas

- --