[Sugar-devel] Pippy not ready for Sucrose

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Jan 27 04:26:29 EST 2009

Brian Jordan wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
>> Simon Schampijer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> the Sucrose package of Pippy is version 25 - when I last released it
>>> back in August. Since then there has been some development going into
>>> Pippy (now version 30)
>>> http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/pippy-activity;a=shortlog
>>>
>>> But none of the maintainers did follow the Sucrose release cycle, even
>>> though I sent a reminder
>>> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2008-November/010021.html
>>>
>>> Any, specific reason for that? Pippy has not been moved to
>>> git.sugarlabs.org, as well.
>>>
>>> please indicate clearly:
>>> * if you still want to be part of Sucrose (including following the
>>> release cycle)
>>> * any new maintainer that is willing to do this task if you does not want to
>>> * any issues/reasons you have to do so
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>     Simon
>>
>> To follow up on this, I mainly want to find a maintainer for Pippy for
>> Sucrose. If there is no one willing to do that we drop it, which is ok -
>> one can still download the xo etc, I just want a clearer situation.
>>
> Hi,

Hi Brian,

this is awesome!

> I will maintain Pippy for Sucrose, though I may need a bit of hand holding.

Hand holding we provide as a default service, you are always welcome to
ask if things are unclear.

> Please let me know if what I did seems correct (esp. step 2):
>
> 1. l got the most recent version of Pippy from git
> git-clone git://dev.laptop.org/projects/pippy-activity
> cd pippy-activity
>
> 2. ./setup.py gave a bunch of "invalid entry in MANIFEST" errors about
> different locales, so I ran:
> ./setup.py fix_manifest

Did you use 0.82 when doing ./setup.py dist_source?

The dist_source command uses git-ls-files to get the files it will
package into the tarball. So only files that are in git will get into
the source tarball.

The dist_xo command uses the manifest as a source to determine the files
present. Only files in the manifest will be present in the bundle.

There was an error in the activitybundle code in 0.82 that tried to read
the manifest as well in the source case - which is not needed. Hence,
the warnings you saw about the incorrect manifest should not be seen
when packaging the sources. This is fixed in recent code.

Hope to have explained a bit the possible story around this error.

> 3. ./setup.py dist_source
>
> 4. I asked a crank sysadmin to add me to the Sugar group,
> And I moved Pippy-30.tar.bz2 to:
> http://dev.laptop.org/pub/sugar/sources/Pippy/Pippy-30.tar.bz2 (805K)

The exact release process for the Sucrose release is described here:
http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Release#Fructose

> I will move pippy over to git.sugarlabs.org as well.

Instructions for that can be found at:
http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Git#Import_a_module_from_dev.laptop.org

> Thanks,
> Brian