[Sugar-devel] favorite layouts

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Jan 17 13:50:43 EST 2009

> was wondering what are people's opinions in uncommenting the favorite
> layouts that we already have in Sugar:

How I currently cope is by having Ring layout show the Activities I
use most frequently, and using 'Search' in List layout (I have many
pages of entries there) for the less-frequently used ones.

[In this regard, it works well to have the drop-down palettes on
Ring icons allow removing unwanted icons that showed up in Ring.]

> Sadly, we missed moving them to be extensions:

I realize that people don't have leisure to document -- but from
such a single sentence it is hard to fathom how the user's needs
would be addressed.

At least in 650, there was a file with activities listed on
individual lines.  I could use an editor to rearrange the lines to
show what icons I wanted, in the order I wanted.  Now with 2629
there is a file with a single record - the order of activities
therein seems not to matter (and some activities appear therein
multiple times) - I no longer know what to modify there to control
icon order (dragging icons in Home View doesn't work).

What I myself would like is for the *user* to have control over
where the icons appear.  [For those with many favorites, the
sunflower (or spiral) layouts allowed more icons on screen than ring
layout, while remaining attractive.]  But it has never been clear to
me how long (e.g., across updates?) the system would preserve the
ordering that might have taken an user many minutes to arrange.

mikus