[Sugar-devel] Sugarlabs and GSOC

Leslie Hawthorn lhospo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 20:17:36 EST 2009

Hi Jameson,

Pleasure to virtually meet you.

And hello again to the fabulous Mel Chua. :)

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>wrote:

> Last year, OLPC handled the sugar educational environment in GSOC. This
> year, that responsibility could be split. Sugarlabs, a more traditional
> open-source government org, handles Sugar; and OLPC only in one platform
> version of that, for Fedora on the XO. It is not clear to me what, if any,
> interest in GSOC OLPC will have (they are undergoing some serious
> belt-tightening right now, so it's not the best time to ask). Some of last
> years' OLPC mentors for GSOC are now associated with Sugarlabs instead.
>
> LH, I've been delegated to ask you what implications that has for what
> range of numbers of slots Sugarlabs might reasonably expect. It is
> emphatically not our intention to take any slots from OLPC which OLPC can
> legitimately use, but it is our impression that OLPC might have a lower
> number of interesting applicants this year due to the much-smaller code base
> that is still strictly "theirs". There are rumors that GSOC puts "new"
> organizations at the end of the line for slots, and we hope that some of
> OLPC's track record might rub off on us. In fact, we dare hope that, as a
> less heierarchical organization than OLPC, we may actually do a better job
> than they did with open source community tasks like GSOC.

This question is a bit premature, but enthusiasm is always appreciated.

Assuming you are accepted as a mentoring organization, your number of
student slots would be based on overall popularity as with all other
organizations. There's full documentation available here that may be helpful
to you:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-announce/web/notes-on-student-allocations

I look forward to reviewing your organization application.

Cheers,
LH

--
Leslie Hawthorn